414 Request-URI Too Large

All of a sudden for seemingly no reason i am suddenly getting this error when using cloudflare. When i disable cloudflare everything works fine on my sites and until today everything was fine. I am using nginx to reverse proxy a number of subdomains and i have

server {
listen 80;
server_name *.domain.com;
rewrite ^ $host$request_uri? permanent;
}

at the top of the file and then the subdomains down below
server {
listen 443 ssl http2;
server_name sub.domain.com;
ssl on;
ssl_certificate /path/to/cert;
ssl_certificate_key /path/to/cert;

location / {
    proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
    proxy_pass              http://(address here):80;
}

}

I cant figure out why this suddenly stopped working it was fine for a long time, what tools can i use to diagnose? P.S i hate the way this site does preformatted text ive tried multiple times now and i cant get the second block to enter preformatted

Whats the URL in question?

But as this is most likely not a Cloudflare error, this will be an issue better for StackOverflow.

at the moment the only url still set to use cloudflare is rocket.kitsuna.net all the others have been disabled. As i said they work just fine when not proxying through cloudflare and i just cant get them working all of a sudden. I either get a situation where its just endlessly looping the URI, strips subdomain info and gets sent to the default domain, or redirects too many times. but again ONLY when trying to use cloudflare, allowing it to be direct and the sites all work perfectly fine and this also just broke randomly last night while i was asleep no changes on my end where made.

That returns a 401 right now, not a 414. You need to post the URL that returns the error you mentioned.

sorry i was in the middle of changing many things, in that process i seem to have fixed it. after getting some debug level logs going on nginx i noticed the cloudflare requests where coming in on http despite being set to strict ssl. I toggled to flexible then back to strict and now its fine again. Not sure if it was my browser incorrectly displaying it as strict when it wasnt or if something got stuck on cloudflares end but everything is now working again

Alright, glad it is working now.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.