404 Error with specific domain on VPS

Hi,

yesterday, after migrating my old website that was hosted on a shared plan on hostgator to a new VPS, I pointed my domain to my new VPS. (pointed it to runcloud, as it is connected with the VPS + Cloudflare).

When using the domain, I get an 404 Error on all pages except my homepage. This doesn’t happen with the test domain I used to set the server up.

I got in touch with the Runcloud support, and they said it must be a configuration error by the old host. Then I contacted Hostgator, they couldn’t help me and said it must be a problem with Cloudflare.

I changed the DNS records on the domain so they only point to my mail “software” and my VPS. There are no signs of it being connected to my old host. (looking at the DNS records)

So how can it be that is still makes problems and doesn’t work correctly? Are there any hidden files with domains, that might be still connected to the old host?

Maybe it’s worth mentioning, that cPanel was installed on my old server when I migrated it. On the new server, I don’t use/have cPanel installed. I also had to delete around 15+ DNS records that seemed to be pointed towards cPanel.

I would appreciate ANY help.

Thanks in advance!

Jakob

I suggest you use the “Pause Cloudflare on Site” option from the Overview tab for your domain at dash.cloudflare.com. The link is in the lower right corner of that page. Give it five minutes to take effect, then make sure site is working as expected with HTTPS. Only then should you un-pause Cloudflare and double-check your SSL/TLS setting to make sure it’s Full (Strict).

If you need more specific guidance, please post your domain name.

Asking in this forum was the last thing I would have done before deleting the whole website and starting from 0 again. You really just saved me A LOT of time.

The problem was pretty stupid, on the new domain I didn’t have SSL/Lets Encrypt installed. I did that, and it works perfectly now. Would have never thought of re-checking that section.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.