404 Error With Full Hosting In Cloudlfare

My domain has been a nightmare, and Cloudflare has the worst customer support on planet earth…however…I’ve managed to solve most of my domain issues with one issue persisting.

My root domain squeaky clean books dot com will not resolve to the website. I get a 404 error page. However, I don’t get that with the http:// squeaky clean books dot com or www.
squeaky clean books dot com

I’ve reached out to everyone that I can think of and the problem persists. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cloudflare does not offer hosting, also this error does not have any Cloudflare branding, so it very likely is triggered somewhere else.

Are you sure you’re using the correct A records?

I changed the certificate to full strict and now this is what I get:

As far as I know. I’ve had multiple people look them over. What would I be looking for?

You need to install a valid certificate from a recognized certificate authority on your origin site, or, if you will only be serving content through Cloudflare, you can install a Cloudflare Origin Certificate.

2 Likes

Thank you, I have a Cloudlfare Origin Certificate already created.

Excellent. Once it is installed on your origin site, Cloudflare should be able to connect and display your site.

My origin site is Thinkfic, and they’ve assured me my site is completely secure. However, I need to upgrade for a custom SSL certificate. Is that what I need to do to be able to use my Cloudflare Certificate?

You would need to ask Thinkfic, but it looks that way. Their documentation indicates that they use Let’s Encrypt to generate SSL certificates for your site. This should result in a valid certificate being created for your for your site.

I don’t know if that process is dependent upon an actual CNAME record being published for the certificate to generate. It is not a configuration that I have ever needed to utilize. You might ask Thinkfic about that.

When a CNAME is :orange: proxied through Cloudflare, A and AAAA records that point to Cloudflare are published in its place. If a published CNAME is required, that only happens when Cloudflare is set to :grey: DNS Only. Note that records set to DNS Only are unable to use the Cloudflare WAF and CDN.

I think my answer here is to get rid of Cloudflare and go with another provider. thank you

I understand that it can be frustrating when things don’t just work the way you expect them too, but you are almost there.

Have you tried pausing Cloudflare in your dashboard? That will temporarily set all of your records to DNS Onl, which, will let you identify if the origin site has the Let’s Encrypt certificate the documentation suggests it should have.

Yes I have and I’ve also contacted Thinkific support which assures me that everything is fine on their end. The only other possibility I can think of is that the certificates are interfering with each other.

And, because I transferred to Cloudflare within 60 days I will have to wait to transfer out. I know I may be “close” but in my business I only work with companies that value their clients. This truly has been the worst experience with a company that I’ve had in a very long time. The site seems to be working at the moment, with only a few of my clients getting an error page. I’ll have to go with that until I can change.

It looks like your www hostname is working, but your apex domain is not. Does Thinkfic recognize your with with both names? Ultimately it’s best to pick one or the other to use as your canonical name and redirect the other.

You could clear up that issue with a redirect rule on Cloudflare that goes from your apex domain to your www hostname. It could be accomplished with either a page rule or a bulk redirect.

I already have a redirect set up from the root domain to the secure www. No dice

In Cloudflare? The redirect has to happen in Cloudflare since Cloudflare is unable to load your origin site using the www name.

Are you using a Page Rule or a Bulk Redirect? If you want to share the rule, I’m happy to see if it looks like there is anything that might be preventing it from behaving as expected.

I no longer get the Cloudflare error page, but instead see a 403 Forbidden returned.

Yes the page rule is set up in Cloudflare. Here’s what it looks like:

As far as the 403 Forbidden, the only thing I changed today was to increase my SSL Encryption to Full Strict to see if it would help.

Thank you for sharing your Page Rule. I would omit the scheme from the pattern. In other words, change http://squeakycleanbooks.com/ to squeakycleanbooks.com/. That way it will match both HTTP and HTTPS requests.

Done! How’s it look?

1 Like

It looks good and I’m getting redirected to your www site. :grin: