404 Error - Switched to Dev Mode - Still 404

Hi,

I switched to Cloudflare for my site (anybank.co.in) on 9th July 2020. The last two days visiting the URL was throwing a 404 error. So I switched on development mode to disable the caching. But I was still getting a 404. Checked the access logs and error logs. I don’t see any entries for 13th i.e. today.

Wonder what could be wrong

Rgds

Sridhar

Do you have a proper HTTPS setup with a valid certificate on your server?

Assuming your server IP address ends in 31, it appears your server returns a 404 on HTTP and an invalid certificate along with some probably unrelated content on HTTPS.

You might have the wrong IP address configured.

I don’t have a HTTPS setup. I disabled it because some SEO tools werent able to read the sitemap over https. Their crawlers were always looking for HTTP.

How come. I don’t think thats right. I just change the DNS to the ones provided by cloudflare. cloudflare reads all my DNS records from the previous DNS. I haven’t added any entries manually.

HTTPS usually shouldn’t be an issue in this context.

Anyhow if you do not need HTTPS, you certainly do not need an HTTP setup. In that case either the wrong IP address is configured or you misconfigured your server.

I checked the server block. It seems right. restarted. Nginx didn’t throw any errors. So I ssume its right. But nevertheless let me go through the configuration with a fine tooth comb.

$ curl -I --resolve anybank.co.in:80:[YOUR-SERVER-IP] http://anybank.co.in
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Server: nginx/1.12.2
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 15:15:20 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 169
Connection: keep-alive
1 Like

It took me sometime to resolve this. I checked the serverblock’s error and access logs they had no entries. I checked the /var/log/nginx error and access logs no entries. Tried a telnet to port 80. It was woirking. Was at a loss then tried my luck by deleting the symbolic link in sites-enabled, restarting nginx and recreating the symbolic link, and restarting nginx. IT WORKED. (Believe me, that what I did.). Renabling CLOUDFLARE.

This topic was automatically closed after 31 days. New replies are no longer allowed.