404 error; Not found

Please forgive me I am a complete newbie.

For starters, I changed a page, and pubiished page in WordPress and started getting 520 error, and I chatted with Bluehost said it may take 24-48 hours to propagate.

~24 hrs later(when I checked it), got and still getting this error:

“Not Found
The requested URL was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.”

I spoke with Bluehost on the phone for a few hours. “A” record IP addresses match from Cloudflare and Bluehost. When searching NS record on whatsmydns.net, it pulls up my cloudflare name servers; however, when searching A records it pulls up a completely different IP address than the matching IP addresses in Cloudflare and Bluehost.

Since name servers are through Cloudflare, Bluehost says its an issue with Cloudflare, and no SSL certificate. I have the free version of Cloudflare and have Always use HTTPS clicked.

Once again I am a newbie, If I can provide any more information please let me know!

Was your site loading fine on HTTPS before you added it to Cloudflare? If not, then that’s the issue and you best pause Cloudflare for now (Overview screen, bottom right) and fix that together with your host. Your site needs to be secure before you add it to Cloudflare.

It was working for the last 2 months with Cloudflare.

Still, was it loading fine before?

Yes working until 2 days ago

That’s not what I meant.

Sorry. I did not publish the site before adding to Cloudflare.

All right, what’s the domain?

steventurnbow.com

For starters, you do not have a secure setup, your site is currently without a valid certificate and insecure.

As for the 404, that is coming straight from your host.

As I already suggested earlier

Bluehost said that because the name servers were under Cloudflare then the SSL certificate was through Cloudflare as well. They wanted me to switch the name servers back to Bluehost which would then put the SSL on them.

Forgive my ignorance…Question: Would you pause Cloudflare, put name servers back to Bluehost, get SSL, then resume Cloudflare, switch name servers back to Cloudflare?

Placing a proper certificate is not dependent on the nameservers. If you intend to keep using Cloudflare I would not change nameservers, but only pause Cloudflare so that the domain points to their server directly. Then they will hopefully realise what the issue is.

Changing nameservers can always be tricky as that can take up to 48 hours.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you for your help!

Would you wait for some time after pausing Cloudflare before calling Bluehost?

Pausing should usually only take a couple of minutes, but maybe give it half an hour.

Sounds good! Thank you very much! I feel like I am getting somewhere and at least have a plan LOL! Much appreciated!

Sure, once it is paused they should really not have excuses any more and just fix the 404 redirect and the certificate. Once your site loads fine on HTTPS, then you can unpause Cloudflare.

1 Like

Good deal! Thanks again!

Pausing already took effect.

nslookup steventurnbow.com lennox.ns.cloudflare.com
Server:  lennox.ns.cloudflare.com
Address:  108.162.195.214

Name:    steventurnbow.com
Address:  RE.DAC.TED.188

Maybe give it a couple of more minutes because we don’t know how fast your host is :smile: but generally it should be fairly obvious to them now that your site neither has a valid certificate nor returns the right content.

Perfect! I am on the phone with now. I waited about 1 hour. Hopefully they can get to the bottom of it. Thanks for your help! I will let you know when the solution is reached.

OK IP address is matching under whatsmydns.net and am able to connect to Wordpress via my domain. When I unpaused Cloudflare I get the 404 error again and different IP address under whatsmydns.net. IDK?