403 Error - Google Search Console - How did I solve it? For those who are still struggling with this

I have seen that there are several posts about this closed and without solution. I created this post, then, to share what I did and what works for me to solve this problem.

Indeed, Cloudflare blocks the connection attempt of the google bots (PC and Mobile) to recognize the sitemaps files. This is normal to happen if in the firewall you have activated the rule “Block known bots”, which includes the google bots and therefore prevents the reading of the sitemaps files.

  1. In the Cloudflare dshboard, in the Security - Firewall Events section I found that the IP of the first BOT Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html) is 66.249.77.222 , the second IP of the BOT is 66.249.77.51.

  2. Click on the “log” of each one, click on “user agent”, click on “filter”. After filtering the results, click on the “create firewall rule” button.
    3.Name the rule as you want, fill in the fields with “Field”-“User agent”- equals-“Value” - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html) - “choose action -allow”.
    This according to the blocking results of the firewall rules. Check the “user agent” that corresponds to your case.

  3. Save the changes.

Do the same for the other goolge bots (mobile and image).

So I was able to upload the sitemaps created by Yoast.

I hope to be of help.

FYI, Known Bots or cf.client.bot actually means the good bots that you’re manually unblocking now.

https://developers.cloudflare.com/firewall/known-issues-and-faq/#bots-currently-detected

https://radar.cloudflare.com/verified-bots

You shouldn’t be blocking cf.client.bot if you want stuff like Googlebot to be able to reach your site.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.