2 Proxy A records

Hello,

My domain is managed by cloudflare, and since we moved to SSL, the domain resolves into 2 IP numbers.
This is an SEO problem, since a domain should be resolved to just 1 IP.

So I read that if you purchase a dedicated certificate from cloudflare, they will map it into 1 IP.
But since I purchased it, the domain IP stay the same. 2 numbers.

No way to contact cloudflare by email or chat, and even calling them didn’t help, since they provide support only under this community forum.

How can I solve this, and have my domain resolve into 1 IP number?

Thanks
Dan

Wow that’s new to me. Is this for real? Are you telling me that netflix.com domain is SEO underground or something?

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;netflix.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
netflix.com. 59 IN A 52.49.83.70
netflix.com. 59 IN A 52.50.200.100
netflix.com. 59 IN A 52.49.70.45
netflix.com. 59 IN A 54.154.117.233
netflix.com. 59 IN A 52.51.164.46
netflix.com. 59 IN A 54.171.21.76
netflix.com. 59 IN A 52.49.81.143
netflix.com. 59 IN A 52.51.246.114

I just found about it today, yes.
Not sure yet how it really affects SEO, but I do find many articles about it.

Here one: https://salt.agency/blog/seo-rankings-cloudflare/

Run your domain name with this site, and see if you get 1 or more IP numbers.

You can always email support at supportATcloudflareDOTcom. Tickets are prioritized by plan level and age. Phone and chat support is only available to Enterprise customers, but there are definitely options outside of this forum.

This is not true, SEO doesn’t work like that. You’ve got nothing to worry about.

As far as technical SEO, this is something that was verified by a few SEO experts I asked.
So the only thing I can do right now is ask about it here.

From my understanding issue isn’t about sharing IPs but about having different domains in SSL certificates. For some reason I think that IP is shared anyway. I wonder how did they managed to prove that they are only ones who use IPs they got? I believe Cloudflare staff can say more about it.

I’m not sure who you’re getting your information from, but claiming that having multiple IP’s for one domain name effects SEO rankings , is not true. Keep in mind that most so called SEO experts get their information from other so called SEO experts. Think about this, large websites will often use multiple servers for load balancing, which would require multiple IP’s.

Write good content and don’t worry too much about SEO. Build it and they will come :stuck_out_tongue:

This would make more sense.
In which case I suggest you use CertBot: https://certbot.eff.org/ and create your own :slight_smile:

You still need at least Business Plan to upload custom certificate to Cloudflare. But you can use dedicated cloudflare certificate which costs couple of dollars per month I believe.
I manage couple of sites which are <10000 alexa global rank and they are using Cloudflare just fine (at least I don’t hear about any SEO problems).

Ok, start here: https://letsencrypt.org/

Certificates are FREE and you host them on your own server.

It’s very simple.

Domain name with www and without www should be resolved to the same IP address.

I’m saying that’s not true. But do what you think is best, it’s your website.

@pixelmac

Something else to consider is that if you are using a custom certificate with Cloudflare you will need to have either a BIZ or ENT level account. Which comes with dedicated IPs anyway.

That being said, I’m having trouble finding anyone internally who agrees that the shared IP should be a problem for your SEO.

Why should they resolve to the same IP address? Google and other major search providers very aware how DNS works and a bare root and a www domain are entirely different. It may be conventional wisdom that they are the same content but there’s absolutely no reason that should be the case. There is no difference between example.com and www.example.com vs example.com and monkey.example.com. It doesn’t matter… if it does, someone might want to warn Google their SEO is in jeopardy.

dig www.google.com +short
dig google.com +short

Hi Ryan,

I do have a business account + a custom certificate.
How can I have nslookup for my domain, to resolve both @ and www to one and same IP number?

Any idea?
Thanks

Narrowing to the single IP isn’t available, but you can contact support and see if there may be a workaround. Everyone I’m talking to says there is no reason to do so, and we are also going to reach out to the blog author to clarify some things.

So to clarify on how custom SSL & IPs interact on our Business plan:

1. Uploading a Custom SSL will provide you with dedicated IPs - this means IPs that are solely used for your domain on Cloudflare. Note dedicated does not mean static… they are subject to change. But that’s irrelevant here.
  2. This means that for any DNS record which you orange cloud that matches a name on your certificate will get these dedicated IPs
  3. It also means that any DNS records you orange cloud which are NOT part of your custom cert, will get your standard IPs for your Universal SSL cert provided by Cloudflare. These are not the same IPs as mentioned in point 2.

So with that in mind (putting all the SEO speculation aside) if you see different IP addresses for your root DNS record vs your WWW then your problem is either:

a) You have not orange-clouded both records
b) Your custom certificate does not have both the root and the www names on the certificate