1.1.1.1 VERY slow in Egypt with 'WE' ISP

I’ve been using 1.1.1.1 and secondary 1.0.0.1 for quite sometime now (two months) as my main dns for my router but since today morning it was VERY slow to open websites just to start loading would take multiple seconds.
So I figured it must be a dns problem and I’ve changed to 8888 and its just ‘normal’ again so it was a problem with 1111.
Here are my logs according to the readme
My ISP is ‘WE’ formerly known as ‘TE-DATA’
if it’s any help my router is a “Huawei GPON terminal HG8121H”

dig 1111

; <<>> DiG 9.14.4 <<>> example*.com @ 1.1.1.1
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

dig 1001

; <<>> DiG 9.14.4 <<>> example*.com @ 1.0.0.1
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 62804
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1452
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;example*.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
example*.com. 9405 IN A 93.184.216.34

;; Query time: 40 msec
;; SERVER: 1.0.0.1#53(1.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Sat Sep 07 19:44:27 EET 2019
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 56

dig 8888

; <<>> DiG 9.14.4 <<>> example*.com @8.8.8.8
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 45539
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;example*.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
example*.com. 15054 IN A 93.184.216.34

;; Query time: 43 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sat Sep 07 19:44:18 EET 2019
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 56

trace 1111

traceroute to 1.1.1.1 (1.1.1.1), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 _gateway (192.168.100.1) 8.168 ms 8.118 ms 8.087 ms
2 10.45.10.23 (10.45.10.23) 8.057 ms 8.031 ms 8.771 ms
3 10.38.20.193 (10.38.20.193) 13.578 ms 10.38.20.217 (10.38.20.217) 13.571 ms 10.38.20.205 (10.38.20.205) 13.532 ms
4 10.37.93.42 (10.37.93.42) 13.511 ms 14.513 ms 14.498 ms
5 10.38.112.49 (10.38.112.49) 28.387 ms 10.37.87.137 (10.37.87.137) 10.218 ms 10.645 ms
6 * * 10.38.112.33 (10.38.112.33) 8.270 ms
7 * * *
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *

trace 1001

traceroute to 1.0.0.1 (1.0.0.1), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 _gateway (192.168.100.1) 3.689 ms 5.897 ms 5.875 ms
2 10.45.10.23 (10.45.10.23) 8.647 ms 8.628 ms 8.597 ms
3 10.38.20.197 (10.38.20.197) 12.146 ms 10.38.20.221 (10.38.20.221) 12.101 ms 10.38.20.209 (10.38.20.209) 12.033 ms
4 10.37.93.42 (10.37.93.42) 12.037 ms 13.129 ms 13.115 ms
5 10.36.19.157 (10.36.19.157) 13.732 ms * 14.281 ms
6 te0-4-0-32.ccr21.mrs01.atlas.cogentco*.com (149.14.124.57) 50.464 ms 149.14.124.49 (149.14.124.49) 47.069 ms te0-7-0-30.ccr21.mrs01.atlas.cogentco .com (149.6.154.105) 48.597 ms
7 te0-4-0-6.ccr21.mrs01.atlas.cogentco*.com (149.14.124.49) 48.510 ms 149.6.154.130 (149.6.154.130) 40.125 ms 41.150 ms
8 149.6.154.130 (149.6.154.130) 41.459 ms one.one.one.one (1.0.0.1) 44.928 ms 44.955 ms

trace 8888

traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 _gateway (192.168.100.1) 2.732 ms 6.050 ms 6.029 ms
2 10.45.10.23 (10.45.10.23) 7.682 ms 7.665 ms 7.637 ms
3 10.38.20.221 (10.38.20.221) 12.121 ms 12.107 ms 10.38.20.205 (10.38.20.205) 16.007 ms
4 10.37.93.42 (10.37.93.42) 13.820 ms 15.979 ms 15.954 ms
5 10.37.45.186 (10.37.45.186) 9.735 ms 10.37.56.66 (10.37.56.66) 12.521 ms 12.791 ms
6 10.38.112.25 (10.38.112.25) 11.817 ms 10.38.32.234 (10.38.32.234) 11.291 ms 10.38.89.194 (10.38.89.194) 7.980 ms
7 10.38.89.194 (10.38.89.194) 8.371 ms 10.37.123.245 (10.37.123.245) 9.112 ms 10.37.123.241 (10.37.123.241) 9.848 ms
8 72.14.196.84 (72.14.196.84) 42.483 ms 74.418 ms *
9 dns.google (8.8.8.8) 44.044 ms * 42.290 ms

dig +short chaos 1111

;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

dig +short chaos 1001

“MRS”

Thats not slow, thats simply not working :slight_smile:. Considering you said it used to work it would seem as if your ISP made some changes and stopped routing that address properly. Thats something only your ISP can fix. For now you can only fall back to 1.0.0.1

3 Likes