1.1.1.1 Routing Issues MEX ISP AS13999

Hello.

For the past week or so I’ve been seeing high DNS lookup times (60+ ms) and high ping times (60+ ms) to 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1, 1.1.1.2, 1.0.0.2. The route seems to also have changed. If I’m not mistaken, the previous route connected to McAllen TX. DNS resolve time was ~26 ms, ping ~23ms.

dig +short CHAOS TXT id.server @1.1.1.1
"MEX"
----
dig +short CHAOS TXT id.server @1.0.0.1
"MEX"

CF 1001

For the time being, I’m using OpenDNS with lookup times of ~25 ms:

As a new user, apparently only one media item is allowed per post. I guess it makes sense, but boy… a warning would’ve been cool (maybe I missed it) before I started collecting screenshots haha. Got a bunch of 'em.

ISP: MegaCable (Mexico). GPON.
AS13999.
Location: Northern Mexico.

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks!

This traceroute to 1.1.1.1 was done on my router:

Traceroute to 1.0.0.1:

This one to OpenDNS also done on the router:

Dig OpenDNS:
dig opendns

Transtelco sure takes their sweet time getting to Cloudflare. Cloudflare doesn’t have control over how ISPs route traffic to Cloudflare. The only thing they control is which peering they use in that region.

Ha! Gave me a laugh. Yes sir, they do indeed. And they’re the cause of most of my Internet issues, which thankfully they’re just a couple of times a year.

What I noticed is that previously this wasn’t the case. Normally, I was routed to McAllen, which proved to work very well; both logically and geographically closer than going all the way down to the MEX Cloudflare DC. Maybe two Transtelco hops and I reached CF, before this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.