1.1.1.1 is not working with Hathway Broadband (Indian ISP)

Agreed with you! The speed depends a lot on location, especially with Google as Cloudflare’s network is more extensive.

1 Like

True, Hathway doesn’t care my case is “being” escalated to senior support. I’m trying to get to a person in the networking team to see if they can actually be useful.

If there is any CF staff (@cs-cf ) that can send a official letter, it would be helpful. Or an email from @Cloudflare.com saying that their network is misconfigured, and CF would be willing to work with you to rectify the issue.

1 Like

I believe they already did contact them in a previous forum topic, they unfortunately can’t force them to comply…

I couldn’t possibly help, not a Cloudflare employee :man_shrugging:.

I believe our network team has reached out to their NoC. Sometimes ISPs and network providers are very responsive… other times not so much. When they aren’t immediately responsive having customer tell them there is a problem can often go a long way.

1 Like

I have “an” email address that “someone” gave me.

I would state that I’m having issues connecting to 1.1.1.1 and its being routed incorrectly. I would attach the results from my original thread, to prove my point. From a network engineer’s PoV is there anything that could help?

For this situation the traceroutes is probably sufficient information for them to understand what is going on. In general for anyone else reading this, the information requested in the link below (depending on the problem you’re having) is a pretty solid set of diagnostic information for 95%+ of the scenarios we encounter and would be for your provider as well if it is an issue on their end.

There are always a few corner cases where additional information might be requested (the internet is a big and very weird place) but most problems that look like a duck and sound like a duck are in fact duck related. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi @cs-cf, How about if you could launch an additional IP since I don’t think Hathway would seriously care about solving this 1.1.1.1 problem. Except Airtel and Tata, no company would care to make any changes just for DNS Company.

So if you could really go ahead and launch another IP?

This would solve a lot of Global Issues with 1.1.1.1

We also have 1.0.0.1 and 2 IPv6 addresses available. Settings are on Cloudflare-dns.com.

1 Like

Sure, I totally understand. @cs-cf

But Indian isn’t compatible with IPv6 at-least max of it.

Secondly, 1.0.0.1 is the single DNS. Which means I have to use 8.8.8.8 in the secondary?

What’s the point left to use 1.0.0.1 either?

I still believe if you can give out the third IP for the DNS and that solves max. of the issue we’ve been facing.

Cloudflare has been fair to everyone 100% but right now just because ISPs aren’t easy to fix the issue.

We or least, I myself believe I’m being at the lower side of the favor you are doing on all of us with 1.1.1.1

If I can’t use 1.1.1.1 I feel bad.

Maybe you can try using DNS-over-HTTPS. Usually the primary is preferred, if and only if, it doesn’t work it will fallback to Google which I might say is not so bad, a bit less privacy, but still better than the ISP provided one.

1 Like

At present I’m using on my router

1. CF 1.0.0.1
  2. OpenDNS 208.67.222.222
  3. Google 8.8.8.8

Working on getting Unbound on my ER-X so I can do DNS over TLS.

EDIT: I understand OpenDNS maybe slower, but I do a lot of playing around with DNS records (part of the job) so their cache check feature really helps me. Is there something similar for CF, a way to clear DNS cache?

We may add other addresses in the future… all kinds of discussions internally on ‘what’s next’. But at the moment (at least for me) the broken nature of 1.1.1.1 is being used as a forcing function to encourage network operators to clean-up/ fix some long standing issues.

India is actually doing pretty well on the IPv6 front all things considered, but you’re right still a ways to go. I should have done more network testing when I was in Mysore a couple of years back, but I was too busy working on learning to write Sanskrit and my ahimsa. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thank you for your visit to the India. I really appreciate that. :slight_smile: @cs-cf
Actually, IPv6 is used among corporate or near-by areas to the node only. Which I believe doesn’t consist of 10% of the total usage of Broadband in India.

IPv6 is a very long-way to go for India because here the routers/modems companies are providing aren’t IPv6 ready (at-least their in-house modems which they manufacture under their white-labeling).

I’m eagerly waiting for the additional IPs to come so that I and my fellow affected Indians can use the full advantage of your DNS services.

I have mailed the Hathway Broadband (My ISP) but there isn’t any revert, I have done the community work also by encouraging a lot of Hathway users (my friends) to mail them but they haven’t received the revert from them.

Let’s see if they ever do the needful or just dodge the emails like they do always.

I thank you for continuously monitoring this thread. Best wishes for the success of 1.1.1.1

I’ll be using 1.1.1.1 as soon as both Primary and Secondary will be available to use.

P.S.: I don’t like mixing the two/more DNS providers (Google with OpenDNS with 1.1.1.1).

Hathway Modem Model: Skyworth CM5100-511 You can add this model to the affected list of the routers/modem in the thread you’ve linked.

1 Like

Good luck with that. :slight_smile:

So many things are broken, they are like that because there are thousands of ISPs that don’t care. This predates things like Smurf and continues with nonsense like HE.net not filtering their customers’ BGP announcements.

Hi, I wanted to update that it’s more than 1 week since I have mailed them and I asked other friends of mine to mail them but there isn’t any fix/reply/revert or any call from them about the same.

I knew they would skip and just dodge as they always do.

@shantanuthatte if you could update anything you might know?

P.S.: I still recommend/believe that CF should launch third IP.

No updates from my side. Will escalate soon.

Hi. I want to again update that Hathway hasn’t taken a single bit of step to fix this issue.

I believe it might be enough time for Cloudflare to understand that there isn’t going to be any action from Hathway’s side.

Wait and Wait and Wait is the only case we have.

1 Like

Unfortunately 1.1.1.1 is so abused that it will take time to fix every instance, in many cases many years I presume. Too many networks announce it internally without owning it.

1 Like

Hi. Yeah. Let’s see if they ever introduce any alternative since 1.1.1.1 seems to be noted as a wrong route chosen.

I don’t think they will, at least not unless they introduce some features (like EDNS Client Subnet support). It was a conscious decision, they wanted to use it to have a cool IP and also to help with cleaning it up.