1.1.1.1 is not working with Hathway Broadband (Indian ISP)

Hello, I am using Hathway Broadband and Other ISPs also.

But, this issue with specifically with Hathway Broadband where I am not able to load 1.1.1.1 in any of the browser.

I have done the tracert so that your technical team can have the enough data to work upon.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Username>tracert 1.1.1.1

Tracing route to 1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com [1.1.1.1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  router.asus.com [192.168.2.1]
  2     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
  3     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  4    11 ms    17 ms     8 ms  some-hathway-ip
  5     9 ms    10 ms     9 ms  some-hathway-ip
  6     9 ms    11 ms     8 ms  some-hathway-ip
  7    10 ms    12 ms     8 ms  1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com [1.1.1.1]

Trace complete.

Edit Note: I have removed the IPs from the message for the security purpose. If you need the IPs or the new trace-route, I am can provide that to you with no issues. I’m always available for your diagnosis on this case and I’ll be actively providing the trace-route with everything.

But since this post is public, I have to remove the IPs for security.

@cscharff or anyone from the official team could have it checked that out for the reason it is happening? :slight_smile:

P.S.: First 3 hops (ranging 1-3) are my router level hops.

Suggestion: Can you just give the third alternative to your DNS Services? Because 1.1.1.1 is not loading and I have to rely upon only on 1.0.0.1 right now. Also, IPv6 doesn’t work (ISP doesn’t support).

Please consider rolling out another IP just in case someone isn’t able to load 1.1.1.1 this would be really appreciated by the community and the people like me who wants to use both DNS for the hassle-free experience.

From the traceroute I see there are no issues, is it possible that the domain you are trying to solve have problems? Or that your router (or upstream in the ISP path) somebody is hijacking DNS requests?

Try doing this and post the results, when the 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 are set up as your DNS servers and when you are set to default DNS:

-- Windows
nslookup -type=any google.com
nslookup -class=chaos -type=txt id.server

-- UNIX (Linux/macOS)
dig any google.com
dig ch txt google.com 

@MrFriendism Your ISP seems to be routing 1.1.1.1 internally, you should contact them and complain, and tell them to remove this internal route. In the mean time you can try 1.0.0.1

Hi @Matteo, I have done the mentioned steps as you have mentioned.

I have set the CloudFlare DNS on my every router, modem and possible devices and the current DNS on the system I have ran this commands have CloudFlare’s DNS on it.

Below are the results:

C:\Users\Username>nslookup -type=any google.com
Server:  1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com
Address:  1.0.0.1

*** 1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com can't find google.com: Not implemented

C:\Users\Username>nslookup -class=chaos -type=txt id.server
Server:  1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com
Address:  1.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
id.server       text =

"del01"

C:\Users\Username>

Let me know, What you think?

Thanks.

Hi @marty1, I totally get your point but Hathway is ignorant of listening to customers’ requests.

If you wish to have this fixed and let us also enjoy 1.1.1.1 then I think CloudFlare itself has to contact them and discuss this with them.

Hathway isn’t a small ISP (they are widely spread in India) but they aren’t as easy to listen as other ISP are in India.

Though, I have mailed them but I am quite sure they won’t listen of a small group of customers asking for this.

I’m looking forward to hear your thoughts.

I believe @shantanuthatte is also facing similar issue and he has contacted them but by far there is no revert from his side on his own thread.

@shantanuthatte’s thread: 1.1.1.1 issues with Hathway (India)

Thanks.

Well, I believe @marty1 gave you a better response than I ever could. But the answers are correct, only on 1.0.0.1, so it confirms that 1.1.1.1 is unreachable. Would you mind trying, even though it’s redundant at this point, using only 1.1.1.1? It should not answer.

Hi @Matteo, Now I get you.

Here are the results:

C:\Users\Username>nslookup -type=any google.com
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  1.1.1.1

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

C:\Users\Username>nslookup -class=chaos -type=txt id.server
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  1.1.1.1

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

C:\Users\Username>

Anything do you suspect?

I believe 1.1.1.1 is not working for me.

Thanks.

I agree with @marty1’s assessment, but unfortunately nothing I can do. You should try contacting you ISP, while CF contacts it as well via their Networking Team…

In the meantime use 1.0.0.1 as primary and 8.8.8.8 for secondary.

Thank you for your advice @matteo . :slight_smile:

1. If I contact them, they wouldn’t look upon this. Hathway is very ignorant when it comes to such request. (Their work environment is kinda backward and doesn’t match today’s standard of services).

The request has to be from CloudFlare’s team so that it put some kind of branding impression/pressure on Hathway to have that fixed.

Meanwhile, I can try myself and ask others to report it to the Hathway (My ISP).

1. I believe CloudFlare should launch the third DNS IP regardless of 1.0.0.1 and 1.1.1.1 for bullet-proof service.

There are many who are not using CloudFlare because 1.1.1.1 is not reachable (many have reported in my private tech. community I am member with).

I would say a third IP would be really helpful for the people like me who doesn’t want to miss the chance of using 1.1.1.1.

It is just a matter of IP. An additional third IP for DNS won’t hurt 1.1.1.1 infact it would grow the usage and acceptance of 1.1.1.1 through-out.

Thanks.

Google’s servers weren’t, like, hacked. It was a BGP hijack of some authoritative DNS IPs. Which resolvers were affected was mostly down to luck. Reporting that focuses on Google is misleading.

(Wait, why am I defending Google?)

Hi @mnordhoff, I don’t know much in detail but this is something which a person like me wouldn’t want to rely upon Google after such attacks.

Precautions are better than cures. :slight_smile:

I have been using CloudFlare for my Websites (For DNS) and then using it for my Routers makes me visit many websites faster than Google’s DNS.

I would seriously request the team to launch third IP meanwhile they contact my ISP to fix it.

Thanks.

Notice that Cloudflare’s own DNS was hit, as you can read in the blog post already linked.

Cloudflare was also affected by the BGP hijacking that you are talking about Google and that is “preventing” you from using it.

Okay. I didn’t know that. So basically, they hijacked almost every DNS Services.

But the concern of using CloudFlare is not just security. It’s the speed.

CloudFlare doesn’t collect data as much Google DNS might collect.

So yeah, it’s speed + privacy + security.

Agreed with you! The speed depends a lot on location, especially with Google as Cloudflare’s network is more extensive.

True, Hathway doesn’t care my case is “being” escalated to senior support. I’m trying to get to a person in the networking team to see if they can actually be useful.

If there is any CF staff (@cscharff ) that can send a official letter, it would be helpful. Or an email from @cloudflare.com saying that their network is misconfigured, and CF would be willing to work with you to rectify the issue.

I believe they already did contact them in a previous forum topic, they unfortunately can’t force them to comply…

I couldn’t possibly help, not a Cloudflare employee :man_shrugging:.

I believe our network team has reached out to their NoC. Sometimes ISPs and network providers are very responsive… other times not so much. When they aren’t immediately responsive having customer tell them there is a problem can often go a long way.

I have “an” email address that “someone” gave me.

I would state that I’m having issues connecting to 1.1.1.1 and its being routed incorrectly. I would attach the results from my original thread, to prove my point. From a network engineer’s PoV is there anything that could help?

For this situation the traceroutes is probably sufficient information for them to understand what is going on. In general for anyone else reading this, the information requested in the link below (depending on the problem you’re having) is a pretty solid set of diagnostic information for 95%+ of the scenarios we encounter and would be for your provider as well if it is an issue on their end.

There are always a few corner cases where additional information might be requested (the internet is a big and very weird place) but most problems that look like a duck and sound like a duck are in fact duck related. :smiley: