1.1.1.1 Does Not Resolve vlab.apps.binus.ac.id (NXDOMAIN)

Hi,

The 1.1.1.1 DNS Resolver does not resolve the subdomain vlab.apps.binus.ac.id (NXDOMAIN) while the other DNS Resolvers resolved the domain’s A Record to 202.58.172.69.

Here is the result of the tests:

[email protected]:~# dig vlab.apps.binus.ac.id @1.1.1.1

; <<>> DiG 9.11.3-1ubuntu1.13-Ubuntu <<>> vlab.apps.binus.ac.id @1.1.1.1
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 52930
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;vlab.apps.binus.ac.id.         IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
binus.ac.id.            3124    IN      SOA     ns1.binus.ac.id. binusnet.binus.edu. 2020092401 10800 3600 432000 3600

;; Query time: 2 msec
;; SERVER: 1.1.1.1#53(1.1.1.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Oct 08 07:09:30 UTC 2020
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 108

[email protected]:~# dig vlab.apps.binus.ac.id @1.0.0.1
 ; <<>> DiG 9.11.3-1ubuntu1.13-Ubuntu <<>> vlab.apps.binus.ac.id @1.0.0.1
 ;; global options: +cmd
 ;; Got answer:
 ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 57998
 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

 ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
 ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
 ;; QUESTION SECTION:
 ;vlab.apps.binus.ac.id.         IN      A

 ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
 binus.ac.id.            3600    IN      SOA     ns1.binus.ac.id. binusnet.binus.edu. 2020092401 10800 3600 432000 3600

 ;; Query time: 30 msec
 ;; SERVER: 1.0.0.1#53(1.0.0.1)
 ;; WHEN: Thu Oct 08 07:01:38 UTC 2020
 ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 108

[email protected]:~# dig vlab.apps.binus.ac.id @8.8.8.8
 ; <<>> DiG 9.11.3-1ubuntu1.13-Ubuntu <<>> vlab.apps.binus.ac.id @8.8.8.8
 ;; global options: +cmd
 ;; Got answer:
 ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 54518
 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

 ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
 ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
 ;; QUESTION SECTION:
 ;vlab.apps.binus.ac.id.         IN      A

 ;; ANSWER SECTION:
 vlab.apps.binus.ac.id.  3599    IN      A       202.58.172.69

 ;; Query time: 10 msec
 ;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
 ;; WHEN: Thu Oct 08 07:02:23 UTC 2020
 ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 66

[email protected]:~# dig +short CHAOS TXT id.server @1.1.1.1
"SIN"

[email protected]:~# dig +short CHAOS TXT id.server @1.0.0.1
"SIN"

It looks like the TLD delegation is pointed to wrong nameserver IPs and needs to be updated. Do you have a contact for the domain owner?

$ dig @b.dns.id. vlab.apps.binus.ac.id
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY; status: NOERROR; id: 30124
;; Flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1; ANSWER: 0; AUTHORITY: 4; ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;; vlab.apps.binus.ac.id.		IN	A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
binus.ac.id.        	3600	IN	NS	ns2.binus.ac.id.
binus.ac.id.        	3600	IN	NS	ns1-05.azure-dns.com.
binus.ac.id.        	3600	IN	NS	ns1.binus.ac.id.
binus.ac.id.        	3600	IN	NS	ns2-05.azure-dns.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.binus.ac.id.    	3600	IN	A	202.58.182.17 <---- glue
ns2.binus.ac.id.    	3600	IN	A	202.58.182.18

$ dig @202.58.182.17 vlab.apps.binus.ac.id.
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY; status: NXDOMAIN; id: 59148
;; Flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1; ANSWER: 0; AUTHORITY: 1; ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;; vlab.apps.binus.ac.id.		IN	A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
binus.ac.id.        	3600	IN	SOA	ns1.binus.ac.id. binusnet.binus.edu. 2020092401 10800 3600 432000 3600
1 Like

Hi @mvavrusa, thanks for pointing out the problem. I have checked with the domain owner and they said the A Record for ns1.binus.ac.id should be 202.58.172.171 and ns2.binus.ac.id should be 202.58.172.172. Now, I just realized their glue records for those NS are pointing to incorrect IP.

Let’s hope they will update the glue records soon